Officer of the Day Guidelines
The role of Officer of the Day is pivotal to the organisation and carriage of the SCD program
- Research your agreed events, outlined in SCD Annual Calendar, well (some months) in advance (previous flyers, Risk Assessments, charts, internet, Lucas, location visit etc.).
- Draft Risk Assessment (RA – Word templates available) for water-based activities outside Pittwater (line from West Head to Barrenjoey – in-shore or off-shore version); liaise with RA Coordinator for assistance and review and eventual sign off by SCD Captain.
- Prepare Word document text for preliminary/final flyer incorporating issues revealed in RA process; include routine safety reminders; seek review by a fellow committee member if you wish; send to RMYC Divisional Secretary (Cathy) for embellishment (including major sponsors’ logos), emailing to SCD membership and posting on SCD web-pages. Consider merits of one or more follow up mailings (simple repeat or modified).
- Recruit any helpers you need for the event.
- Consider sending email to registered participants with list of boats taking part, contacts, weather updates etc.
- Order Lucky Door prize wine from Cathy and pick up before event; in addition, 1 Slam Clothing 50% discount voucher is available per event; raffle tickets and gift bags needed – ask a fellow committee member to help if under pressure.
- Monitor weather & forecasts very regularly. Do not hesitate to cancel or modify the event due to adverse weather forecasts – especially Gale or Storm warnings. Consult with other experienced members. Liaise with participants during event – consider VHF radio scheds. or informal calls; mobile contacts; dinghy rounds etc. Small dinner groups preferably arranged by ballot.
- Take photographs or recruit a fellow member to do so
- Send list of attendees to Treasurer for PIP register
- Write report of event suitable for Cruise News and send to Editor and SCD Captain with a small selection of your best photos
- Report any accidents or incidents to SCD Captain, RA Co-ordinator and Safety & Equipment Officer