- Learn to row a boat
- How to deal with upturned small craft
- How to tie up boats
- Safety around boats
- Learn to sail
- Knot tying
- Fishing techniques
- Outboard motors
- How to manoeuvre small power boats
- Docking berthing and rules of the road.
- Power Boat Licence
- Kayaking, basic navigation and messing around in boats.
Mini Mariners is a Club Division initiated by volunteer parents of the RMYC and now in its third year. Mini Mariners is all about providing children (ideally between the ages of 6-14) and families the opportunity to socialise and learn important water safety skills in a safe, social, fun and non-competitive atmosphere that is very affordable.
It is all about “messing around with boats”. It has similarities with the “Sea Scouts” but is unique in that every participating child must be actively accompanied by at least one parent/grand parent or guardian.
Mini Mariner events are social and involve multiple families and family members of all ages. We run multiple programmes during the one session by having parents/grandparents allocated to a particular station. The multiple stations provide different activities (involving interaction with the water) for children and siblings of all ages (typically between 5 to 15yrs).
How to Join:
Due to the popularity of the programme, we currently have a waiting list but are exploring avenues to expand our resources and equipment.
Parents join the Mini Mariners division and the children then enrol in the programme (subject to availability).
Parents are required to actively participate.
- The annual subscription FOR THE PARENT/S to JOIN the division is $30.00 per adult.
- An initial programme fee of $30.00 per child applies. Additional programme fees may apply to cater for specific programmes eg a professional sailing coach etc. The costs will be shared between participants as required.
Please contact Jaz Rowntree on 9997 5511 for more information or to register on the “wait list”