Royal Motor Yacht Club Social Media Policy
The Royal Motor Yacht Club Social Media Policy has the primary aim of protecting the reputation and integrity of Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members.
RMYC respects the rights of Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members to use Facebook, Instagram, blogs and other social media tools not only as a form of self‐expression, but also as a means to further promote the RMYC and business profile. It is important that all the above associates are aware of the implications of engaging in forms of social media and online conversations that reference RMYC. This must be recognised as the Club may be held responsible for their behaviour.
Each of the above associates are responsible for their own actions. Anything you post that can potentially tarnish the RMYC image will ultimately be your responsibility. We do encourage you to participate in the online social media space, but urge you to do so properly, exercising sound judgment and common sense.
Be a “scout” for compliments and criticism. Even if you are not an authorised online administrator for RMYC, you are one of our most vital assets for monitoring the social media landscape. If you come across positive or negative remarks about RMYC Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members online that you believe are not in the correct use, consider forwarding them to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Let the administrators respond to negative posts. You may come across negative or disparaging posts about RMYC Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members or see third parties trying to spark negative conversations. Unless you are an administrator, avoid the temptation to react yourself. Pass the post(s) along to our administrators who are trained to address such comments, at firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com. Divisional pages should look to assign at least 1 or 2 designated people as their main administrator/representative.
RMYC recognise the vital importance of participating in online conversations and are committed to ensuring that we participate in online social media the right way. These
Online Social Media Principles have been developed to help empower us to participate in
the new world of marketing and communications, represent RMYC Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members by sharing the optimistic and positive spirit of RMYC by:
- LEADERSHIP: The courage to shape a better future.
- COLLABORATION: Leveraging and working together.
- INTEGRITY: Be real and honest.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Recognising that you are responsible.
- PASSION: Showing commitment in heart, spirit and mind.
- DIVERSITY: Being as inclusive as possible to everyone equally.
- QUALITY: Supporting what we do and do it well.
These Online Social Media Principles are intended to outline how these values should be demonstrated in the online social media space and to guide your participation in this area. When you are participating personally, as well as when you are acting on behalf of RMYC. It is critical that we always remember who we are (a Yacht Club for our Members and the Community) and what our role is in the social media community (to build our brand in a positive manner, attract new members and community visitation).
RMYC encourages all Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members to explore and engage in social media communities at a level at which they feel comfortable. Have fun, but be smart. The best advice is to approach online worlds in the same way we do the physical one, by using sound judgment and common sense by adhering to the RMYC values. RMYC adheres strongly to its core values in the online social media community and we expect the same commitment from all RMYC including Directors, Managers, Divisional Committee Members, Staff and Members.
Any deviation from these commitments may be subject to disciplinary review or other appropriate action. The vision of RMYC is to achieve sustainable growth online by certain shared values that we live by as an organisation and as individuals The Five Core Values of RMYC in the Online Social Media Community:
- Transparency in every social media engagement. RMYC does not condone manipulating the social media flow by creating “fake” profiles or posts designed to mislead followers and control a conversation. Every social media channel, event pages or other online destination that is ultimately controlled by RMYC must openly make that fact known to users respecting the Company’s online presence.
- Protection of our consumers’ privacy. This means that we should be conscientious regarding any Personally Identifiable Information that we collect, including how we collect, store, use or share. All of which should be done pursuant to applicable Privacy Policies, laws and Online Social Media Principles.
- Respect of copyrights, trademarks, rights of publicity and other third‐party rights in the online social media space, including with regard to user‐generated content.
- Responsibility in our use of technology.We will not use or align the Company with any organisations or Web sites that deploy the use of excessive tracking software, adware, malware or spyware.
- Utilisation of best practices, listening to the online community and compliance with applicable regulations to ensure that these Online Social Media Principles remain current and reflect the most up‐ to‐date and appropriate standards of behaviour.